If there is one thing that’s true, it’s that a dark bedroom is depressing and quite unpleasant to sleep in. If your bedroom is dark, dull and in need of life, you will certainly want to make some changes to brighten the space. It’s not just about the lighting (though that will be a factor later). It’s about the colors, the space, itself and even furnishings. Brightening your bedroom is all about making it look like it’s somewhere you want to sleep. It’s somewhere you want to relax and where you want to spend your time.
The good thing is that it’s relatively easy to brighten your bedroom and it’s going to end up being a room you gravitate towards when you’re done. The choices that you make for your bedroom are important; you want to feel calm and relaxed when you’re in it. Some people make it all about the colours, where others choose to think about how picture framing can make a big difference. Below, we’ve got seven ways that you can brighten up your sleep space – by the end of the article, you’ll be ready to choose the best for your bedroom and get a better night of sleep as a result!
- Update Window Treatments; The problem with brightening your bedroom starts with how much natural light is coming in in the first place. If you have a room with a window perpetually covered in blinds and curtains, it’s going to be a naturally dark place. Heavy, dark-colored curtains can block out all of that beautiful natural light that you need to lighten the space. s. Curtains aren’t always necessary. You can simply use blinds or shades that can be can opened up the space and let even more light flood into the room. Some people even like the bare window look, too.
- Repaint the room. Dark paint can shrink the bedroom, and lighter paint can allow light to flood into every corner. This is going to make the room look bigger. Think of those soft light greens and sunshine yellows that can brighten in an instant.
- Add some mirrors. Mirrors reflect light. Opposite the walls, the lamps and more, you have to think about how mirrors will bounce the light around the room into all the nooks and crannies. These are the perfect way to add light and space to your room, you can encourage the light to move through the house this way, and it’s everything that you need if you want to make sure your room is bright and airy. You can have fun with this one, too, as mirrors can be any shape or size you choose.
- Get rid of the clutter. Clutter crowds a room and it can shrink it right down. It adds shadows, and it makes the bedroom feel darker than it is. When you keep it cleared up, you will make it seem like a less oppressive space and more open for the light to come into.
- Cut back the shrubs. If you have climbing shrubbery up the walls on the outside of your home, you should cut it back, anything that’s preventing the light from coming in through the window should be cut away and if you improve the exposure to direct sunshine, you will be able to enjoy the illusion of space you get because of it.
- Add lamps. While you can encourage natural lighting to flood in, you should also add some artificial light, too. Smaller lamps dotted around the room can help you to light the parts of the room exactly as you need them to be lit up. You can choose lamp shades that work for your color scheme, too, and these will remain beautiful in your bedroom.
Brightening your bedroom is one of the best things that you can do if you are looking to sleep in a more open, airy space, this is the way to go.