If you’re getting ready to move into a new home, you’re likely aware that all of the decor and furnishings won’t just instantly look picture perfect when you first move in. You have probably already spent time thinking of what furniture and decorative accessories that you want to use in your new home and what older items you might need to replace or throw away. If you’re having trouble deciding on home decor for your new space, read on for some quick tips on how to prepare for decorating your new home and some easy design tips. *This post may contain affiiate and/or sponsored links.
- Decor either emphasizes the room or becomes the emphasis. If you’re choosing to get new decor for a room, always remember that your decorations can either enhance the space or negatively take away from it’s original beauty. As such, always consider the overall detail of a room when preparing for new decor. For instance, a room with grays or neutral colors might need a bit of color through furnishings and decorative accents to bring some much-needed vibrance. Likewise, rooms that have a ton of beautiful original details such as ornate woodwork might do well with a “less is more” decor approach.
- Think About Function in Design. If you’re aiming to have a more minimalist approach to your home or space, you might want only choose pieces that have actual use instead of just being for decoration. For instance, a stylish cabinet or a lovely shelf may add much-needed appeal to your living space and can keep things organized, instead of small tables here and there that end up with clutter and take up floor space.
Can’t find the perfect desk or bookshelf to contain the clutter in your living room? Try a chest of drawers instead! Don’t be afraid to use furnishings in non-traditional ways.
- Consider the room’s theme when choosing your decor. Aside from the emphasis and the practicality of your room decor, also consider the room’s theme when choosing the decor. For instance, it might be awkward for a room to have a retro decor if the rest of the room follows a classical or traditional theme. When choosing decor, also consider the overall “vibe.” Is the room for primarily for relaxing quietly or will it be the main hub of entertaining?
- Consider the space of the room. Aside from decor giving emphasis to the room, decorative accessories may also maximize the space of the room such as baskets for corralling extra pillows and blankets. As such, if when shopping for decor, think of how it emphasizes the space around the room.
If you want your room to maintain its spacious appearance, choose more minimalist style furnishings rather than ornate antique pieces.
On the other hand, you might need something large to fill up a blank wall space that needs a “wow” piece.
- Check the overall atmosphere and trends in your area. If you’re planning to move to a new neighborhood, check out the other homes’ beautiful exterior curb appeal and landscaping for ideas that may make your home fit in beautifully within the neighborhood. For example if you are relocating to the New York area, contact moving company Manhattan to take a tour around the area to check what trends you have to note. Also conisder the style of your home. If it is a Craftsman Bungalow, consider furnishings and decor that will accent the home’s historic beauty instead of modern decor that might clash with the overall style.
Lastly, it’s important to remember that some rules are made to be broken! If you love a particular piece of furniture or a style in design, then follow your heart. Fill your new home with things you love and you will be much happier than worrying about staying on top of the lastest design trends.
Best of luck with your move and decorating your new home!